.

.

Sunday, November 22, 2020

Taking Care Of Our Parents And The Elderly

This is a sweet reminder from the beautiful Rachel McLish to be strong for the weak; especially our parents and the elderly who get progressively more fragile with time.

I come from a very broken, dysfunctional family. I don’t mind sharing my story if it helps people in the same or similar situation. Out of numerous adults, I am the only one who selflessly takes care of my elderly mother who has significant mobility and health issues. I have made many personal sacrifices to do this and it is not a glamourous job but I do it with great honor. And just like the superhero vigilante crime fighter Superman, I have taken many bullets to the chest, metaphorically speaking, and used my superpowers to protect my mother; including her assets that were aggressively illegally pursued prior to and upon my father’s untimely death. And most of those bullets came from unsavory, downtrodden family members with ulterior motives of jealousy, hatred, greed and revenge.

So, if you are blessed enough to have an elder in your life (i.e., father, mother, paternal or maternal grandparents or great grandparents), please do what you can to take care of them and help them. They need you in more ways that you can imagine.

Jacqueline Sebiane